There's something great about Tuesday mornings. The newness of the week has worn off enough, that it's not too much of a shock to get out of bed. Inertia was broken by Monday - that's the hardest part. By Tuesday, the week is still fresh, it's starting to get rolling - but typically hasn't dragged on and made everyone tired yet.
There are some great songs about Tuesday Mornings, notably this song by the Pogues that is one of my all time very favorite songs:
So, it's great that today starts this little writing project. Each day, or as many days as I can muster, I'll write briefly about at least three things that I'm grateful for. I'll do my best not to be too precious or sweet about it - gratitude oughtn't give one a sugar crash to read about. I'll try to be personal, without being too much. Specific, without details. Or something. We'll see how this goes.
- I'm thankful for the last seven months with Adam. He is a very tall man with a tremendous heart. He's a grown up, direct and open with his feelings and has a midwestern sensibility that grants him uncommonly good common sense. I'm also grateful for this quote from Helena Bonham Carter, on her divorce from Tim Burton: “We did find each other. And really, the mark of a successful relationship shouldn’t be whether you’re there forever after. Sometimes you’re not meant to be forever together. Sometimes you have to come to terms with the fact that that was it. But that was a gift, a massive gift." Godspeed, good man.
- My friends Missy and Sean are two of the people I know who are most filled with laughter. It pours out of them, it's impossible not to laugh with them. Last night, they saw me as only dear friends can - and understood that I needed their comfort and courage in equal amounts. I'm also grateful for their freakin gorgeous backyard and grape vine-covered trellis, where I plan to drink many, many glasses of wine.
- Amy Poehler is much beloved in many corners of our culture right now, and for good reason. She is sincere without being overly sweet. Wickedly smart and funny, but not mean. I was late to the Parks and Recreation, and just finished it in the last couple of weeks on Hulu. This morning, when I couldn't sleep, I watched the extended version of the series finale again. I would like very much if Amy Poehler as Leslie Knope could appear in my living room this morning, gently touch my arm and show me my future. But shy of that, I'm grateful for this gorgeous little show, that was funny and sweet and made sincerity cool in a really fresh and rare way. I'm grateful for this show, and it's goodness (both how good it is, and also that it's about being good).
No comments:
Post a Comment