Sunday, July 7, 2019
Jim: Gratitude for Teaching as a Vocation
Yes, there is at least a grain of truth in the old joke: "What are the three best things about teaching? June, July, and August." Except that the reality is-- two outta three ain't bad (thanks for the tissue) and yes, those two months are wonderful (and maybe even an ideal for productivity in the workplace, but that's a whole 'nother topic). What I write about today are some of the many other reasons why I am grateful on a daily basis for having found teaching as a vocation.
1) Teaching is a Creative Act-- I've never considered myself to be the type of person to have the discipline to practice a traditional creative act-- painting, music, acting, even writing. Teaching, though, has taught me that I AM a creative person, and that the classroom is my performance space. For someone who sees the classroom as a place to transmit knowledge, this may seem counter-intuitive, if not dangerous. On the other hand, if you realize that there are many different ways to learn, that learning has affective as well as cognitive components, and that motivation is a huge part of what the typical teacher has to provide for students, then it makes more sense.
2) Teaching is a Moral Act-- If you've been fortunate enough to have a teacher (or several) that you connected with, who inspired you and left a lasting impression, it may be because of what she taught, but it's more likely to be because of who she was. Just because most schools, public and independent, aren't religious doesn't mean that they aren't places of moral education. The morality I'm speaking of is conveyed implicitly as opposed to through an established explicit code; it's embedded in an ethical and civic set of values (no education can be value-neutral); it's communicated via the modeling of healthy working relationships, generosity, cooperation, clear and healthy expectations, and honesty.
3)Teaching is a Democratic Act-- Often despair at the state of our community, nation, world? Me too. Feel like there's nothing you can do to contribute to its betterment? Not me. As a public school teacher, I believe whole-heartedly in the guarantee of a Free Appropriate Public Education for all, as most recently guaranteed by law in my birth year, 1973. I believe that such an education is a necessary part of a functioning democratic citizenry. As such, when I teach, the act is partially self-serving-- I'm helping to guarantee the future wellbeing of my community, state, and nation. Yes, this is an awesome responsibility. Yes, it suggests that teachers should be valued more than they are in our society. No, neither of those things discourage me from taking on these challenges. Instead, they make it all the more important that the best people be encouraged to pursue education as a vocation.
4) Teaching is a Human Act--Rare is the day that I come home from work not thinking about a meaningful interaction with someone-- student, colleague, administrator--that has added something to my life experience. There is something about the necessity (and when it's lacking, the opportunity) to work on things that can make a difference in others' lives, and in my own. And the cast of characters is constantly changing-- students come and go constantly, and teachers do as well, and each have unique stories, challenges, and contributions to enrich the whole. I've been blessed to have several thousand such folk walk through my door, and though it is hard when some of them leave, the possibility of catching up and renewing our relationships at a later date always remains in my mind.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment