It's Tuesday Morning --
this song by the Pogues has been one of my favorites for a dozen or so years (it's older than that, but music doesn't really happen till a listener finds it). Anyway, "I thought of tomorrow..."
- Missy & Sean have been family to me in DC the last few years. They have a baby now, and another on the way -- but we still carve out time most weeks for dinner or a brunch and a little time to catch up. Last night, we ate Thai food, and laid on the big white couch and it felt like home.
- I'm living through a season of "in between times" - one way or another, my plan (hope? goal?) is still to move to Chicago in the relative near term. But, that means that this summer in particular is sort of a limbo period. I'm still living in my life in DC, but also there's a timer set on that. One foot in, one foot out, is a hard way to pass the days. But, in these in between times, I've decided to try and focus in on art - movies, music, TV, live shows, whatever and wherever I can find it - to help give the present some needed texture and breadth and joy. Last night, I finished season 3 of Stranger Things, which was maybe the best season yet. It's an homage to all that I hold dear about growing up in the 80s. The clothes, the music, the lighting, the pop culture references and the sensibility are all so gorgeously familiar and celebrated in the most flattering ways.
- My friend Clay called about a work thing yesterday, and as an aside said, "I keep a journal every day of just one sentence from the day" (which is a brilliant way to journal and once again why he's such a delight). He said, "Random fact: a year ago today, you and I went to go see Ant Man." Honestly, I love super hero movies, but rarely find them memorable. I sort of remember that I've seen one of the Ant Man movies - and, while we're talking gratitude, let's put Paul Rudd on the board - and now that he mentioned it, I can kind of remember sitting in the Gallery Place theater and their newly refurbished giant recliner seats, but mostly it's a blur lost in the ether. I'm grateful for my friend Clay, who always gets me to up my game a little, in the most delightful and unexpected ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment