Sunday, November 29, 2015

Mark: Sunday, Nov 29th. Old enough to know better, but....

  • When an otherwise ordinary evening turns into Saturday Night: Last night, after a few bars and different sets of friends and perhaps a few bourbons, Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is You," came on. The entire room lit up like a big gay chorus.  It was Saturday night on the town, after a coupla days with my mom - and everything was shiny and fun.  Gay people - let it be known - are sometimes, a blast.  One of those times, is definitely when an entire room of them bursts spontaneously into song.  God save the queens.  That was so fun.  There was also something about the bar that felt like a Christmas episode of Saturday Night Live.  The holiday decorations were out, and twinkling and it felt urban and dark and happy with a tinge of bittersweetness.  (It's possible I'm just a sucker for Christmas, and I'm fine with that).
  • Another Thanksgiving:  Once again, my mom came for Thanksgiving.  Missy and Sean had us over, along with Jen and Kenton.  It was actually, a pretty great holiday.  Given how complicated Thanksgiving with my mom can be, I'm grateful for that...and particularly for friends who are smart and fun and generally act as wind in the sales.
  • Christmas Lights: There's a lot about Christmas that feels plastic and consumer driven.  But, I have a particular soft spot for Christmas Lights.  I love that at the darkest time of the year, people put lights on the front of their houses.  It's a sign of hope, and happiness and in some cases even community.  Yesterday, for the first time, I put lights on the front of my Harvard street house, and it was a joy to come home to last night.


No comments:

Post a Comment