Monday, November 23, 2015

Monday, November 23rd - Thanksgiving Week


  • Saturday night was dinner with my Spitfire people - Lisa & Rory, Michael & Steve, Beth & Rich.  It was a meal at the Tabard that was lovely and grown up and good so see all those faces together.  They aren't quite old friends yet - but there's a lot of history there, and someday will be.  I'm lucky to have had Spitfire in my life.
  • Saturday morning was an impromptu trip to Good Will with my friend Scott, which became a "fake day date."  The errand turned into brunch with Jen, Kenton & baby Zetta, who is suddenly much more little girl than baby. We had bloody marys, and then another couple rounds of drinks and appetizers at Union Market, and laughed.  The Scott and I rolled on for a couple more drinks at the Standard.  It was a fun day, mixing new and old friends in a new combination.   It was a perfect fall Saturday.
  • Friday, I spent hours cleaning and organizing my closets.  It was the perfect way to spend the fall day - I didn't feel that well, and didn't want to be out in the world, but also didn't want to waste the day.  I love the way the house feels when it's clean - like, actual clean where things are organized and thoughtfully arranged.  It resulted in several bags for Good Will that got a lot of old unused things out of the house, and hopefully headed to new owners who will love them.  I'm thankful to have the time and space in my life to do that kind of work, which is a whole new way of living.
  • Sunday afternoon, I met Jeff for a date at the Portrait Gallery.  He's a friend of a friend, who's got an easy way about him.  He wore a great, weathered leather jacket that is stylish, but has also seen some miles.  I'm not sure how old he is, but I'm guessing it's somewhere 5-10 years older than me...he has a gentle, calm air about him.  We wandered the galleries and leisurely chatted, looking at art, and then had a glass of wine in the courtyard as the sun went down and the light got dark.  We hovered near each other, getting closer and closer as we wandered and looked at the art, without touching.  When we left the museum, we made an impromptu decision to go to the theater next door for Hunger Games.  Shortly into the movie, we shared the arm rest, and out arms rested against one another. Gradually they got closer till our hands were touching.  Then, during a stressful scene, I grabbed (and then gripped, like a crazy person), his thigh, where my hand rested until his fingers entwined with mine.  Later we shared a cab home, and a quick good night kiss in the backseat.  It was a lovely grown up date, that was also modest enough that it reminded me of a high school date.  It's funny how things go full circle like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment